Friday, April 20, 2012

Menu for April 23 to April 27

Among all the other things I am trying to balance these days as a working mother, I am trying to make sure my meals are family–friendly as well as healthy and Weight Watchers-friendly. The easiest way to do this for me is to make them flexible and to add more vegetables, which is good for everyone. Mix and match meals are particular good for this, for example make-your-own pizzas, tacos and burgers. So this week’s menu will reflect my balancing act and may require you to customize your shopping list for your own kid’s tastes.

Monday: I like Monday to start out light, because I usually indulge a little on the weekend and try to get things back on track on Mondays. So today’s menu is a Panzanella or Bread Salad. For Weight Watchers you can use less bread. If you want some protein you could add chick peas, tuna, feta or parmesan cheese.

Tuesday: Chicken Stir Fry Wraps You may recognize this recipe from the facebook page, I posted it during the Easter week. This one is flexible too, reduce the heat, serve in a flour tortilla or over rice. There are lots of ways to make this one family-friendly.

Wednesday: Loony Spoons Veggie Chili
I love chili because it is versatile, healthy, and hearty with meat or without. You can almost add anything to chili which means you can pick and choose ingredients based on your families tastes and you can also add spice and heat in the form of hot sauces, peppers, and chilies after cooking it; so that means everyone can decide how hot they want their individual bowl. I like to top mine with a dollop of Greek Style yogurt, but you can top with chopped avocado, fresh cilantro, shredded cheese... you decide (and add it to your shopping list!)

Thursday: As usual, I include a pizza recipe in my weekly menu. If you experiment with the toppings pizza is never the same meal twice, so it isn't really something that I mind having weekly. You can use the Jamie Oliver dough I always use or ready made Naan Bread or frozen pizza dough options. This week I am going to top mine with bocconcini, tomato and basil. I might also add some prusciutto and olives. For my kid's version I will use regular old mozza, pizza sauce, and pepperoni. I will give him a piece of ours too, because you never know when he might be curious enough to give it a try! I always through a handful of mixed greens on my plates with the pizza and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze or vinegar or lemon juice. I also use olive oil and balsamic glaze on this version of my pizza instead of a sauce. You can use my pizza ideas or make up your own, be sure to add your choices to your shopping list. Another pizza tip: The Olivieri brand Olive oil and garlic pesto is a great basic pizza sauce for all kinds of toppings. I often use it with roast vegetables.

Friday: Burgers 2 ways. Portobello Mushroom Burgers with Spicy Avocado
For me Fridays mean fun food, whether it is nachos, pizza, or burgers; it is a night to let go a little. This week I want to try a veggie burger. I have used meaty portobello mushrooms as a burger substitute before and liked them and I love avocado so I am excited about this recipe. While my kid likes avocado and burgers, I am pretty sure he won’t eat a mushroom burger, but that doesn’t mean I won’t try. I am going to offer him one of ours and make him a ‘normal’ burger too. You can choose to buy frozen ready made burgers or you can make your own with your preferred ground meat, just be sure to adjust the shopping list accordingly. Also make sure you have whatever toppings and condiments you like. I think I will get bacon for mine. A piece of bacon is less calories than a whole meat patty and bacon and avocado are a match made in the same food heaven as peanut butter and chocolate.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


No comments:

Post a Comment

Inappropriate comments will not be published.