Monday, January 30, 2012

Healthy Eating Habits

Sara Here:

Do as I say, not as I do. Why doesn't that work?

I am a stress-eater. When I am tired, I eat. When I am worried, I eat. When I celebrate, I eat. Food is certainly my drug of choice, and I struggle with it daily.

I have been working very hard on this issue. I recognize it, and I try to name it when I know it is about to happen. I am trying to pay more attention to my body and ask myself "Am I hungry, or is there something else going on that is making that cookie so irresistible?" It is an up-hill battle, but I am climbing and lately, more days, I am winning.

However, the pressure I feel around this issue, beyond weight and health, has increased due to my children. I do not want them to emulate me. I want them to have healthy attitudes around food.

At the table I do not say, "Clean your plate." I say "Feel when your belly is full." I do not make treats a forbidden entity, increasing it's allure. Treats are okay - in moderation. I do not offer them food when they are upset. We talk about feelings. I plan healthy meals, we eat at the table, I encourage them to try new things. And I remember that all kids like junk food. It is natural. I should not panic when they won't eat their fruit but will eat a chocolate bar.

But, I know they watch me. In some ways it is good motivation.

There are so many worries when you are a Mom. This is one that I throw on my heap. But like all of you, I do the best I can, and take comfort in the thought that they will need something to talk about with the therapists in years to come.

The city of St. John's is hosting an awareness session on teaching healthy habits tonight. You need to register is you are interested. http://www.stjohns.ca/csj/EventDetails?id=2966&loc=null&date=30-1-2012

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inappropriate comments will not be published.