Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Review: Open-face mushroom burger

Erika here: this recipe was delicious, easy, and my husband and I loved it. My child ate some of his as well and because it is so flexible, I was able to adjust his version to his tastes without creating more work for myself, for example I used slider buns for his. I also like all my meals to have a veg on the side so I stir fried some red and green pepper strips to go with our burgers and made some 5 min frozen fries in the oven for my son.

I made some minor tweaks to the recipe itself; having learned from the previous night to trust my instincts on blandness, I added garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce to the burger as well as an egg to help keep it together. I also used cheddar instead of fontina becauseI didn't find fontina after going to three stores. This will go into heavy rotation at our house for its taste and speedy prep time. ~Erika


Sara here: I can categorically say that last night's supper was a success. Clean plates and no leftovers. Perhaps it is because of all of the testosterone in the house - but the meat was a hit.

I found this recipe very quick and easy. Broiling the burgers was so fast, and kept them so juicy. My husband wondered why everyone doesn't cook their burgers like this. I explained to him that not everyone lives with a domestic goddess like he does. I am getting quite cocky after day two:-)

My oldest loved the burger but wanted a top - no problem to accommodate that. He also left off the tomato and the mushrooms and onions, which was fine, but next time I might make some veg to go on the side for him. My youngest ate the meat and the bread separately, but as they say, it is all going to the same place, right? My husband polished off two, and I really enjoyed mine, especially mushrooms and onions with the red wine vinegar. Yum! As for middle guy, he had crackers and yogurt. No surprises there.

I will keep this recipe in the rotation for sure. I did cook some frozen fries for the kids to round it out but since they did not touch the veggie portion of this recipe, I might do sweet potato fries next time. I might also do some variations with cheese, and other toppings.

Tonight: salad. I am nervous about this one!~Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inappropriate comments will not be published.