Tuesday, January 10, 2012

So Far, So Good

Sara here:
One meal done, and so far so good. But before I share my experience with the meal, I want to start from the beginning.


The shopping. Besides the fact that there were an INSANE amount of people at the grocery store, the trip was mainly successful. I did not swear at anyone (out loud) and I got the things I needed, for the most part. I am left without a shallots and pepperocini (which I needed to look up as I had no idea what is was - it is a banana pepper.) I was quite proud of finding Fontina cheeses at the deli. I asked for two ounces, but they only do grams, so I had to guess. Good to know for next time. All in all, I walked out of Dominion proudly - like a primitive hunter triumphantly returning to the cave - and let's face it, my family do resemble a tribe of cannibals most days.



One important thing I would like to point out is that you should not be afraid to substitute. Like Erika, I used Basmati rice, as that is what I had at home. If you can not find things on the list, or if you have things you use up at home, just do it! This is about making life easier.


As for the meal, "Chicken with Rasins, Spinach and Olives", I was pleased. I found it easy to make, and especially enjoyed the stress-relief of banging the chicken breasts into cutlets. I think steaming the rice and spinach together is a great idea. I will certainly do that again. As for the meal as a whole, my husband and I thought it was good, but a little bland. This may not have been an entirely bad thing, as my 3 year old enjoyed the chicken with a little sauce, and my 7 year old ate all of his though he did pick the olives out of it. As usual, my 4 year old ate toast. No surprises there. If I make it again I will double the sauce.

I was able to have leftovers for lunch today which were good. My husband turned a leftover cutlet into a chicken burger. No waste.

So, we all ate healthy good food, and I did not rip my hair out. Overall? Success!

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know - you are a big hit with this blog! I have seen FB friends share your link, and even got an email from a colleague today! You GO, Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks St. John's Mom! That is great!

    ReplyDelete

Inappropriate comments will not be published.