Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Rolling with it...

Erika here, This week's meal planning hasn't really gone smoothly for me, but that's okay. Having a meal plan is supposed to be a guide, something to help you out, it isn't supposed to stress you out trying to stick with it. On Monday I had so many leftovers from the weekend I couldn't justify wasting them, so I skipped the meal plan recipe and we ate a smorgasbord of leftovers.

On Tuesday I attempted to make Monday's Tostada Salad, but all my romaine lettuce had turned brown in the centre, so I converted the recipe from salad to nachos and tortillas (thankfully I had flour tortillas and nacho chips in the cupboard). My child ate the nachos and the guacamole, but turned up his nose at the melted cheese. Still, avocado is pretty healthy and we got to sit down for dinner together, which we both enjoyed. Sometimes just timing it so we can be at the table at the same time is difficult. My husband came home late and was able to quickly pull together a chicken fajita from all the left over ingredients from our dinner. He heated it up in the microwave and he was pretty happy with his supper.

As it turns out the ingredients for the Tostada Salad were flexible and versatile enough to make everyone happy with their dinner. This is a variation of something I call a Mexican Salad and it is already on heavy rotation in my house. I use bottled or homemade salsa and Greek Style Yogurt as a topping, which makes a creamy/zesty dressing. My husband often chooses to wrap his salad in a flour tortilla and we add green and red peppers sometimes too. We fry those up with the chicken.

I am skipping the Tuesday Tuna recipe and will use the tuna for sandwiches. Frankly, something about warm tuna just doesn't appeal to me. Tonight I will try to get back on track with the pasta and meatballs.

Sara here, This week began strong with the tostada salad. It was easy to make and I had supper on the table in record time. I really enjoyed it. The rest of my family, however, were less enthusiastic. My oldest said it just looked yuck, and my husband was so/so. They ate the chips, and the tomatoes and chicken - but it was all piece meal, and a little annoying to witness after I had assembled it all. I think this will be a regular lunch for me - but won't go in the rotation for the others.

So last night - I thought we all needed a break. We went out for supper, and all hands were happy, including me. Back to the schedule tonight - pasta. I know this one will go well. Well I think it will. Okay - fingers crossed.



- Posted from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inappropriate comments will not be published.