Thursday, January 12, 2012

Warm Spinach Salad with Fried Egg and Potato

Erika here, I loved this recipe and I didn't think I would. The idea of an over easy egg on top of my dinner just doesn't appeal to me that much. I was determined to stick to the menu plan though, so I followed the directions and was happily surprised. This dinner is really like a breakfast salad. The potatoes would make for excellent hash browns and I added bacon which is a traditional ingredient in my favourite spinach salads and I also made toast on the side with a baguette. I ended up forgetting the Parmesan altogether by mistake and I still loved it.

My kid ate a little bit of everything, even one leaf of the baby spinach, I think he would have eaten more had the snow shoveling before supper made him so hungry that I had to give him a pre-dinner snack to keep him happy while I made the meal. My husband really liked it too. It wasn't hard to make this and I could see this as a preferred version of 'breakfast for supper' because of the added value of the spinach. I am having an egg free version of the left-overs for my lunch today. This was also another pretty Weight Watcher friendly dinner as I think a poached egg could work well and the bacon and toast is optional.

Sara here, I was nervous about this recipe as I live with some "meat and potato" kindda guys. I was pleasantly surprised when I started cooking however, as it seemed like there were lots of elements to this meal that my family would like. Like Erika, I added bacon, and toasted some leftover sourdough bread on the side.

I enjoyed the salad and feel quite satisfied after supper (though I did indulge in some leftover Xmas chocolate.) I did find the dressing a little sharp, and as I left the grocery store sans shallot, I think its addition would have been helpful. My husband was a little taken aback by the egg gently resting on the top of his salad, however, he did eat it and enjoyed it for the most part. I scrambled the egg for the kids before putting on their plates. I knew their father's reaction would pale in comparison to the "yuks" I would get if I didn't make that adjustment. My oldest hated "the leaves" but tried them at least, and ate all of the other parts. My youngest ate the egg, bacon and toast, so basically breakfast. My middle ate toast, as normal, but also some bacon.

Overall, we all ate and there was something for everyone with this meal. That being said, don't know that it will go into my favorites list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inappropriate comments will not be published.