Monday, January 16, 2012

Picky Eaters

My name is Sara and I live with a picky eater.

Before I had children, people who were picky eaters were one of my pet peeves. I like all food (a bit too much in some cases) and I have very little understanding of why something so yummy could make others want to hurl. Well, like all things, my predjudice has come home to roost, as I live with a four year old who I would argue is the pickiest eater in the world.

I had a clue we would have issues when I first began to feed him cereal. Of course most babies spit it out and wrinkle their noses at the glop we push on them at six months - but with my guy it was different. It was all-out, full-blown urging and possibly even vomit. I had to routinely change-up the cereal, mix it with fruit and stick the sippy cup in this mouth to help him wash it down. Then came the fruits and veggies, and God forbid, the meat. He would have none of it. And my hair began to get grayer by the second.

He has always been a small guy, just four pounds when he was born. We had no trouble breastfeeding, which I am very grateful about. However, once the food wars began, my stress was increased due to his small size. I would cry at night over how worried I was over his nutrition and weight.

Then I was lucky enough to get some help. Due to a non-related medical issue, my son was able to access resources at the Janeway Children's Hospital. We began to see nutritionists and occupational therapists and they gave me some really valuable tips. So - I want to share some with you:


  • Take stock of what your child eats. Even though their diet may not be varied, it may be quite balanced.

  • Subsitute the food you know they like. If they drink milk, up the fat intake by keeping them on whole. Do they like chocolate milk? Try Carnation Instant Breakfast or Ensure at suppertime to add protein fat and nutrients.

  • Build on the food you know they like. If they like chocolate milk, try making a smoothie with chocolate milk and banana. Add some pieces of strawberry to their cereal. Mix in some carrot puree to their spagetti sauce. The more familiar they become with a flavor, the more likely they might try it in his true form.

  • Have other kids over for meals and let your child watch what they eat. Peer pressure is good in this case.

  • Stop asking your child to just "try" something. Instead, ask them to pick it up and smell it. That is all - just smell. Starting small gets them past their anxiety and takes the pressure off them. After smell you can ask them to lick the food, then maybe even take a bite. Work with stickers and prizes for each step they complete. The people at the Janeway taught me this technique and it has worked wonders.

  • Put a time limit on meals, and give the child a visual. Let them know time is running out, and their will be no more food after that. Give them boundaries that are clear.

  • Let them have one thing on their plate you know they will eat along with soemthing new. Give them some control, as that is what they are seeking anyway. If they eat only the thing they like, it is fine, but they must keep the food that is offered at supper on their plate in front of them as well.

And the most important - STOP STRESSING! Your child sees it, and it affects how they feel about food. My child got to the point where he would cry when I would say "supper time." That was not helping anything. So I stopped fighting with him at the table. I also remembered that some of this was manipulation on his part and I was playing right into his hands. So I calmed down, relaxed and stopped paying so much attention to him at the table. I have noticed that he tries more things when I am not looking. That says something.


As my Grandmother used to say, "No child ever starved where there is food." I know someday he will be a big burly man eating me out of house and home. Until then, I am trying to keep some dark hair on my head.



1 comment:

  1. I love your post Sara, and a lot of these tips are helpful for simply introducing new food to any child, even ones that aren't so picky. I also find my child tries more things when I am not looking or not asking him too. I will try your "smell it or lick it" idea next time. One thing that works for me is repetition. I read in a magazine once that it takes 15 times for a person to acquire a new taste and that many parents give up to soon. So I keep putting things in front of him even if he hasn't liked it in the past with the hope that familiarity will help. It worked with corn and it worked with bacon. I also find comparisons work, like showing him that melted cheese is the same thing as the cheese he likes cubed and that guacamole is the same thing as avocado and letting him do the mashing so the comparison is tangible.m

    ReplyDelete

Inappropriate comments will not be published.